Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for various reasons. The biggest reason is that you haven’t eaten anything in 8 or more hours and your body needs fuel to give you energy to get through the day.
Truthfully I never was a breakfast person, like a lot of people I had excuses like “I’m jut not hungry when I get up” or “I don’t have time”. Since getting into a regime of healthy eating and healthy living I literally run to the kitchen when I get up. I’m starving, and admittedly I get rather grumpy if I don’t feed the belly at breakfast time. I have even noticed that on the weekends when I sleep in, I either wake up because I am hungry (my belly grumbles till I open my eyes) or I get headaches, just from lack of energy and dehydration (no, that doesn’t only happen because of a hangover!!).
If you are still not convinced of the benefits to eating a good, healthy breakfast in the morning, here are some facts to ponder:
1. eating breakfast within 30 to 90 minutes of waking up can jump-start your metabolism and regulate your blood sugar.
2. If you make it rich in fibre (I eat oats) it can help you lose weight and control hunger. The best way to control snacking is to feel full, oats fills me up along with my regular 500ml of water on the way to work, I can make it till tea time for my next healthy snack.
3. If you are unlike me and work out in the mornings (Sorry you try motivate yourself to get out of bed and workout at 1 degree outside winter weather in the morning!!) if you eat a hearty breakfast 2-3 hours before exercise you will burn more body fat and enhance your performance in the gym.
4. Choosing high proteins earlier in the day increase satiety and may reduce hunger throughout the day.
5. As part of your breakfast you should look at adding fruit, it is a tasty, satisfying way to fill up on fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
6. Also look at adding foods high in calcium, to keep you healthy and strong.
So go on, EAT YOUR BREAKFAST and it will help you lose weight and speed up your metabolism and get you that toned and trimmed body you want!