I loved the idea behind Wordless Wednesday, get the full details here. Often I think I ramble and talk too much. So this post will allow me to post a pic or image that speaks for itself. It will be based on what is going on in my life, how I am feeling etc.
On this fine Thursday in Joburg I am pondering various arb thoughts. Not sure what Thinking Out Loud Thursdays are about? Check out here.
Are you a Dog or a Cat person?
Take this quiz here. Such a funny blog post from a friend of mine. This post got me thinking about how I am very much a dog person. I dislike cats a lot. Its a weird and not so wonderful story. See my mum is highly allergic to cats so we never had a cat growing up. They are very unfamiliar to me, hence I don’t really like them. But I also have never met a friendly cat. I have met angry, bitchy, bossy, stuck up and just plain mean cats instead. So I guess you could say, they started my dislike really. I have mentioned it before but basically Rob and I bought a house so we could get a pet.
Rob never had a dog growing up, so he was a big kid about it and wanted a dog desperately. We wanted (still want) a Lab but our little garden is just not big enough for a big dog so we looked at various smaller breeds. Breeds with a bit of personality and unlimited cuteness. It was down to three breeds in the end: Pug, Boston Terrier or French Bulldog. A friend contacted me early Jan this year and told me about a breeder selling Pug puppies and so with that, the decision was made.
We chose Jack when he was just 4 weeks old. well, he chose us really. He was the biggest in the litter and he stood on his brothers and sisters heads to get to us. Rob reached out and picked him up and it was love at first sight. He was slightly darker in colouring than his other fawn brothers and sisters. We just knew he was the one for us.
So we chose him then had to wait an agonizing 2 weeks till he had his shots and could safely leave his mommy. In the meantime we came up with his name. His name is two fold really. On the one side he is named after an Arsenal soccer player, Jack Wilshire. And secondly, he is named after my nanny noo -noo (my Canadian Grandma), Jackie.
So are you a dog or a cat person? Do you treat your pet like your fur child?
- Lately I have had a lot of “bad run” days.
- After signing up for my first 21km and following a training plan, I realise I don’t like following a running plan and much prefer just running when I feel like it.
- I never really been fond of my feet, but since I have been running more, my toenails are in need of a pedi badly!
- I can’t “eat whatever I want” just because I run. In fact if I am running I need to be super careful what I eat so that it doesn’t come back to haunt me on my run.
- I wish I ran faster. Don’t all runners feel the same here?
- I cough, sneeze and blow my nose while I run. It’s super sexy (not really).
- I love my sleep but somehow getting up to run is the most exhilarating/productive part of my weekend.
- I have massive piles of laundry each week- all of it consisting of running gear.
- Gastrointestinal issues are a norm.
- If I am stuck in traffic in my car, I will work out how fast it would take me to run the same distance.
- I always feel like I have accomplished so much more in my weekend if I get a long run in.
- Coffee must be drank after a long run, never before.
- I secretly judge peoples’ running shoes. This is now since I have a strong pronation shoe, I envy the neutral runners.
- I’m always kind of hungry. I am not sure this is related to my running.
- Runners who are faster than me while pushing strollers and/or walking piss me off.
- I have internal wars with other runners. Generally it is a speed walker or grandpa that I am chasing during a run.
- Clicking submit on an online race registration is the most exciting part of entering. Then the planning begins.
- The night before a race, I generally don’t sleep well, no matter what time I go to bed.
- I fear having to go to the bathroom during a race. This is after a bad experience at the Nike Night Race in 2013. We don’t need to go there again but it was bad. I have nightmares that it will happen again.
- Running is an instant way to make me angry that I don’t run fast and happy that I ran all at the same time. It’s a love/hate thing.
Whats your biggest Running Confession?
I love reading, always have, I don’t seem to read much these days – with work, running and life, reading seems to be put on the back burner. That’s something I need to fix. Here are some of my fave books:
1. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
1. Bacon. need I say more?
2. Pasta. Any type, any which way.
3. Cheese. Cheddar cheese in particular
4. Butternut. Like I could eat it every night and never get tired of it.
5. Oranges. I can eat like 100 in on sitting. yum. any citrus really, except grapefruit.
OK so now I am hungry, whats your fave food?
I found this post on one of my fave bloggers site and thought it would be fun to join in! Jenn from Runs with Pugs found it through Jesica, over at RunLadylike , who found it through Amanda at Run To The Finish, who was inspired by Amanda of Diary of a Semi-Health Nut, who all, in turn, inspired Kristin at A Mom On The Run, and so on. It’s always great to read everyone’s answers and see how runners differ across the board.
So let’s get started!
1. …run a 5k or a marathon?
I hate 5km. I dunno why. I find them packed full of people and you end up walking most of the way. Although I really do love teh parkrun which is a 5km, there seem to be less of a stampede at these. I have never done a marathon, although I am doing my first half marathon in September this year – I love doing 10km races!
2. … run a flat race in the heat or hilly race in the cold?
Give me a hilly race in the cold any day – you can always warm up when you run in the cold. But I hate running in the heat, when I go back home to Durban the humidity gets me so bad – red faced and out of breath by the first km!
3. …get new running shoes or a new running outfit?
I wanna say BOTH! But truthfully I have 2 new pairs of shoes this year, I really need new winter outfits!
4. … run a marathon without headphones or Garmin?
Without headphones, I personally hate running with music, I prefer listening to the sounds around me. I could never run without my Garmin. If its not logged on Garmin did I even run???
5. … race because of the convenience (location, price, travel) or the swag?
I am all about the medal! I had to cut down the number of races I do each month just because they all add up and it gets quite costly. I like trying out new runs and I don’t mind traveling (as long as there is some bling at the end)
6. … PR but result in an injury or finish strong and missing a PR?
Lately I have been having calf issues, its just not worth getting severely injured for a PR. So I’d rather finish strong!
7. … do 100 squats or 100 push ups? [Now take a break and go do them. ;)]
Squats all day any day. HATE push ups!
8. …. run without socks or without sports bra?
It would have to socks but I wouldn’t like it. rather no socks than my boobs flinging everywhere 🙂
9. … run on a treadmill for an hour or run around the same street block for an hour?
Around the same street block. I find a treadmill boring.
10. … run a Ragnar Relay or Marathon Relay team?
I don’t know what that is… LOL…. they both sound hectic 🙂
11. … do a naked run or naked yoga?
hmmm… naked yoga because then I can do it at home in private where no one can see me – LOL!
12. …come in 4th in the Olympics or 1st at the New York City Marathon?
WOW! Either one I’d be happy with!
13. … give up running for a 3 years to get a Boston Marathon qualifying time (BQ) or never BQ but run as much as you want?
One of my long term goals is to do overseas marathons, Berlin/Boston/NYC…. but I’d rather run as much as I want around SA than give up running for 3 years for one marathon.
Feel free to answer all or some of these questions in the comments, or go ahead and share your own on your blog. Make sure you link back to me so I can see your responses, too!
Guys, I am in pain after my shoulder/back workout on Monday!!! My arms feel like I am T-rex! I cannot stretch them out without having a little cry. Thought I would share this, as its funny and made me chuckle: